Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Jul 1992 13:22:11 CDT
   This update is mainly directed to list owners with lists at NDSUVM1
(vm1.nodak.edu).  But I'm including LSTSRV-L in case some other
LISTSERV postmasters are interested in the problem we had and our
attempted solution.

   When processing mail LISTSERV first scans the syntax of the mail
headers.  If there are problems the action taken depends on the types
of errors and the type of mail.

   If the mail is directed to LISTSERV it is usually bounced to the
LISTSERV postmaster for handling (no leniency).  For lists LISTSERV
will sometimes substitute the local postmaster (in our case
POSTMASTER@NDSUVM1) and pass the mail on to the list.

   I used to think this was great - there are so many broken mail
systems and it is nice to get the mail through.  However, several
incidents have changed my mind.  In some cases users think this has
been a way for the user to hide his or her identity.  In a case today
a broken mail system was sending error bounces to a list here even
though the original mail had NOTHING to do with the list!  It is
pretty embarassing to have private personal mail between two parties
sent to a list!

   I now will prevent any mail from POSTMASTER@NDSUVM1 to any of our
lists.  This should be pretty effective in isolating the "phantom mail"
and directing it to the list owner.  As list owners you can identify these
trapped bounces if they have:

Error occured while processing file NNNN from POSTMASTER@NDSUVM1: "Mail has
been received for list LISTNAME from a user which has been served out".

as the error message from LISTSERV.

   If, as the owner of the list, you want to post the message for the user
remember that you will need to remove any "LISTSERV/LIST" headers from the
body of the mail to avoid problems with LISTSERV's loop detectors.  Let me
know if you think this is causing too much rejected mail on the NDSUVM1
(vm1.nodak.edu) LISTSERV.  Be sure to send me samples with headers!

   If other LISTSERV postmasters want to try this please be aware that I
have only done a little testing.  The suggestion came from Eric and it
seems to work.  All you have to do is send your LISTSERV the command:
         SERVE POSTMASTER@hostname OFF
where hostname is your BITNET node name that LISTSERV uses on this phantom
mail.  But you may want to check in a few days to see if we have left
ours this way before you try it!  ;-)

   The problem we were having with a QuickMail system was apparently due to
a new "beta" release from Intercon according to the postmaster.  If you use
that software beware!  It was a strange error in that mail from some poor
user B to a user on this system got sent to our ROOTS-L list here!  The
mail had nothing to do with ROOTS-L, ROOTS-L did not appear in the messages,
and the only connection was that there was another user on that same mail
system subscribed to ROOTS-L.  I suspect the address just got picked at
random and we were the lucky winners!  ;-)

   If you have any questions let me know.  Thanks!

                                                    Marty