Karen Strauss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 00:33:51 -0400
HELP!

I am a list owner as well as the site maintainer for
[log in to unmask] I am running the beta of 1.8d on NT Server
4.0 with SP3 and hotfixes.

I'm having a lot of trouble tracking down the cause of duplicate
messages that about 15 of my list subscribers have been getting. They
are not getting dupes all the time, only sporatically. I have gotten
some of them to forward to me all the copies of one of the dupes (some
of them just can't figure out how to forward messages with the headers,
ugh). So I've been prowling through the listserv logs and also my mail
server logs to find all the entries for this message.

When I looked in the LISTSERV-19981010.LOG I found the following entry:

10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Processing file 25974 from
10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Processing mail from [log in to unmask] for RSDNET-L
10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Distributing mail ("RSDNET-L") from
owner-rsdnet-l@LISTSERV.RSDNET.ORG...
10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Mail forwarded to PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM for 185
recipients.
10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Mail posted via SMTP to [log in to unmask]
10 Oct 1998 06:13:57 Mail posted via SMTP to [log in to unmask]
etc

The log doesn't list which 185 subscribers were channeled through
plum.ease.lsoft.com and I need to know where I can find out who these
185 recipients without going through the subscriber list and crossing
off those who had their mail delivered through other routes or who where
not subscribed to the particular topic that this message used.

I do think that all my AOL subscribers go through this route, and some
of the AOL subscribers have been getting dupes. I don't know if all of
them have because in the usual way not all of my subscribers have
responded to my request for information.

If I had this information I could cross off some of the ideas I have on
this. Some of the people getting dupes are getting their mail directly
through my SMTP server (Netscape Messaging 3.01) but I only show them as
getting a single delivery of the messages in question.

I have exhausted (for the moment) my ability to figure out this problem.
There were originally about 21 people complaining of this problem. Along
the way, I did find and delete duplicate subscriptions (as in
[log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]) for six people, but the other 15 remain a
mystery.

Any ideas?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks