"John F. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 15:02:00 EST
> Recently my server received a subscription request from a user at
> CUNYVM.  For reasons unrelated to this query, the subscription request
> bounced.  What I'm trying to understand is:  how did a real mail origin
> of CUNYVM become "CUNYVM.HARVARD.EDU"????

Unfortunately, it's easy and quite common.  You don't have enough
evidence in this case, though, to point the finger of blame.  The
basic scenario is this:  the mail originator was presumably sending
mail from one BITNET node to another (CUNYVM to HARVARDA), and the
addresses, therefore, should not have required any further qualification
than xxxx@CUNYVM and [log in to unmask]  In practice, there is a
mail "domain" called ".BITNET" even though it is not officially
recognized anywhere.  Still, since both sender and receiver were
in the same "domain", the ".BITNET" suffix would have been either
"illegal" (by the official view) or unnecessary (by the de facto view).
Unfortunately, the mail got mixed into a processing path somewhere
along the way including non-BITNET-only mail.  The exact point where
this occurred is not apparent from the evidence.  In this case, it
may actually have occurred at the point of origin (the sender may,
for example, have sent the mail to [log in to unmask]).
Alternatively, it might have occurred somewhere at Harvard.  In any case,
when the mail passed through some MTA at Harvard, the unqualified
name CUNYVM was interpreted in terms of Internet standards, i.e., the
local domain was assumed to be "HARVARD.EDU" rather than "BITNET".
                                       John