Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:01:19 -0400
>It was all working beautifully... then I turned on passive probing.
>Now I receive hundreds of double bounces similar to the following:
>
>   Subject: Postmaster Copy: Undelivered Mail
>   To: [log in to unmask]
>
>   <owner-listname*user**remote*-domain*[log in to unmask]>:
>   unknown user: "owner-listname*user**remote*-domain*-name"
>
>Clearly this is mail that bounced to "[log in to unmask]", and
>should be returned to "[log in to unmask]" for
>processing.  It only occurs for lists which use passive probing...
>
>Can anybody shed some light on this issue??  Is this the normal
>operation of passive probing, possibly using an address format that
>neither I nor Postfix are familiar with?  The manual doesn't provide
>many technical details in regards to the "transparent probes" that are
>sent out.

I posted something about this a while ago; hopefully all your
questions will be answered at
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0102&L=lstown-l&P=R2964
.

>On a related note, can anyone explain why my list owners can receive
>thousands of delivery errors, even with "Auto-delete=Yes,Full-Auto"
>set for their list?  This seems contradictory to the description of
>the auto-delete setting.

Basically LISTSERV can't automatically process bounces that aren't in
a format it understands, so it has to forward such bounces to the
listowner.  Full-Auto vs. Semi-Auto doesn't change that; it just
changes how LISTSERV handles bounces (in a format it understands) for
addresses that aren't subscribed to the mailing list in question.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc