Doron Shikmoni <P85025@BARILVM>
Wed, 15 Feb 89 19:27:00 O
>>Alternatively,  perhaps a  "shortcut" method  to subscribe  my server  to the
>>"full" distribution of control files will  be good enuf. Say, some command to
>>a backbone server which will tell it  to distribute the control files it gets
>>to my server too (a special AFD, I guess).
>
>The problem I see with this approach  is the following: the PUT FACs for files
>in CONTROL FILELIST  would not allow another  server to store the  files -- so
>you should modify these manually, and remember  to do so for every new version
>(since new versions often contain new copies of the standard filelists).
>
>>But it is mandatory that such command be generic, so that if tomorrow there's
>>a new  type of control file  that's distributed to backbones,  my server will
>>get it too, automatically.
>
>That I do not see any way of  doing it automatically without an AI program :-)
>You don't need everything in CONTROL  filelist (for example BITEARN DISTSUM is
>generated locally,  while you  need PEERS NAMES).  If a new  file is  added to
>CONTROL, you can't know in advance whether  you'll need it or not. I guess the
>only reasonable  way to do it  is manually, i.e.  *you* AFD to the  files, and
>then PUTALL NODIST all of them at your convenience.

This is why I asked for a *new* feature! I know it's hard to do with the
existing ones. Backbone sites do allow these files to be stored - and only
the required files, right? So:

1. If you give me a new tag, you will simply be able to include my server
   in the distribution. Neat, clean, no loose ends.

2. If not, perhaps some way can be devised to have the backbone server
   nearest to me (after getting my "special" subscription command), "extend"
   the DIST of files in the CONTROL filelist so that it reaches my machine
   too. This way, my server will not have problems with the PUT FACs - at
   least no more problems than the backbone servers...

Cheers
Doron