Raymond Ayers <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 19:51:07 EDT
About a week ago I posted this to this list (at least I sent it but got
no acknowledgement). Once more into the fray. If you got it before and
it was meaningless to you, please excuse my repost.

We are running LISTSERV 1.8c under VM/ESA Release 2. Up to now we have
NOT been running SMS. We are running Beyond Software's Webshare
freeware server (v 1.2.3) for web access to CMS.

We have 600+ lists currently. As with every other site, our users can
no longer live with out WEB access to the archives. The only free
product I know of is WLV from Marist (A. Harry WIlliams) and naturally
the same folks who must have access don't want to pay for anything.

My problem comes only from the technical side. Installing/running SMS
seems to be fairly routine (for IBM stuff), but I see nothing in the
LISTSERV installation or site mgrs manuals on how to configure
LISTSERV and the list headers, etc to run with SMS. I also found
virtually nothing in a search of the list archives.

If anyone out there has gone thru this process (either SMS or LISTSERV)
and can offer guidance (maybe even a check list (I know I'm lazy))
I would be most appreciative. Any warnings or other advice is also
solicited.

Since most of the folks on this list seem to be of the UNIX persuasion,
contact me directly if you prefer.

 | Raymond Ayers                           VM & MVS Systems Programmer |
 | Computer Services -- Division of Libraries and Information Services |
 | University Of South Carolina        Columbia, South Carolina, 29208 |
 | Phone: 803-777-4409                               Fax: 803-777-4760 |
 | Internet: [log in to unmask]                                           |