Manfred Bogen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Aug 90 10:39:02 CET
I know that we have a problem here, but it has nothing to do with
MAILER@DEARN, but with our gateway software. I discussed the problem already
with Eric Thomas, but did not find a solution and have to talk to the GW
software developpers. Maybe this group can give me some suggestions
(beside of stopping the gateway or getting rid of X.400 --).

What happens?

People in the X.400 world produce messages which contain more than 80 columns
and send it to users in   EARN/ BITNET for example [log in to unmask] The gateway
realizes that those messages cannot be handled by mailers so it makes files
out of them with funny names like MPM M|@#$%^ and sends them via SENDFILE
(with option ACK) to LISTSERV. The rest follows as desribed by Christian,
i.e. a DIST2 job sent to the LISTSERV backbone etc..

I do not really know why those postmasters worldwide (except me) get those
rejection messages and I do not know whether it helps to take away the
ACK-option using SENDFILE.

Manfred