Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:53:00 -0500
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 02:53:09 GMT, you said:
> In addition, when I reply to your message, I get this:
>
> At 02:25 PM 98/03/10 -0500, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
> >Run Plugin:"D:\mail\Attach\Re RHC.COOS-BAY.OR.US and othe.ems <0880.0002>"
>
> Actually, I know more than what I am letting on.  I can, with some effort,
> go find your attachment in my D:\mail\Attach directory and read it with a
> generic file viewer.  I can read the message and I see that you have signed
> it with PGP.  But I suspect that a fairly large proportion of the
> subscribers to this list are missing your message because they are unable
> to process the attachment or are unwilling to go to the extra effort involved.

Hmm.. major wierdness... my mail *SHOULD* be showing up as a MIME
message, of the following format:

multipart/signed
  text/plain   All the text is here
  application/pgp-signature *only* the PGP signature is here.

If your MUA doesn't understand 'multipart/signed', it is *REQUIRED*
to punt to 'multipart/mixed'.  I've had complaints before that
the PGP-signature attachment gets left lying around, but this is
the first time I've heard of anybody being unable to read the actual
message....Eudora has been getting this right since at least 1.54 or
so.

I'm of mixed feeling on the "prohibit attachments" aspect. This
sounds like it needs a bit more work to be a useful general-case
solution.  What (for instance) should you do with a multipart/mixed
that contains only message/external-body references to FTP or HTTP?
What if it's 4 body parts, all of the text/plain persuation?

Maybe what you *REALLY* wanted is "reject any application/ attachment",
Or perhaps you want a table of "known OK' application/ to allow to
be passed.

It could be that what you *really* wanted is "disallow message if
any of the parts require base-64 encoding" (which would allow through
my messages, and anything of several text/plain, but would stop
people attaching Microsoft Word documents).

I won't get into the text/html can of worms, other than to note that
I see more complaints about *single* bodypart text/html than I do
about attachments....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer