Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:54:31 -0700
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:09:36 -0500, Michael Wishart
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We have a new list aimed at users who are known to be less than stellar with technology. We want to see how many are actually using the web interface, as opposed to email, to access the list. If we can get an idea how many are actually using the web interface it can give us some clues as to how best to further market the list amongst this group. Hence, the question 'how many users are using the web interface?'.

Well that's not the same question you originally asked.  ;-)  In any event,
correlating passwords would not help because that is a one-time event.  If you
want to measure web usage, you'll need to parse the log files to look for WWW
activity.

>1 Oct 2009 22:09:11 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: X-LOGIN [log in to unmask] 170.131.131.254 PW=[redacted]
>1 Oct 2009 22:09:11 To   [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: ***OK*** 4A4C8F0BE6A656715C
>1 Oct 2009 22:09:11 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: X-LOGCK 4A4C8F0BE6A656715C AUTHINFO(170.131.131.254) ORGINFO(170.131.131.254) GE (...)
>1 Oct 2009 22:09:21 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: X-LOGCK 4A4C8F0BE6A656715C AUTHINFO(170.131.131.254) ORGINFO(170.131.131.254)
>1 Oct 2009 22:09:21 To   [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: ***OK*** 0 0
>1 Oct 2009 22:09:21 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.BESTEFFORT.COM: X-LOGCK 4A4C8F0BE6A656715C AUTHINFO(170.131.131.254) ORGINFO(170.131.131.254) WM (...)

and compare it with the subscriber list.  You'll probably want to script this.

You could also simply post a message to the list asking people.  You won't get
100% accurate response but it will be surprisingly good, and much easier than
a lot of background sniffing around, parsing log files, checking for
passwords, etc.