Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 May 1996 21:58:46 +0200
On   Mon,    13   May   1996    11:44:26   EST5EDT   "S.    PETE   HOYLE"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>This option is likely not useful  in most common situations, and someone
>who requests "IETF" headers ought to be aware of the implications.

FYI, every time there has been an attempt to standardize mailing lists on
the  Internet  (or  just  informal talk  about  this),  the  overwhelming
majority of the  people involved felt that only  IETF-like headers should
be offered, and all other types of headers should be banned - even if the
user specifically  requests them. I would  then tell people that  I would
never implement such a standard and  get flamed and flamed and flamed. In
a normal Internet working group context,  I would then be ignored and the
work would proceed and lead to  a standard banning other forms of header,
because  a majority  of the  working group  members (who  may or  may not
represent a majority of the actual users) felt they were very bad. But in
the case of mailing lists, an Internet  standard would only be as good as
the  authors of  the main  packages think  it is,  so these  "key" people
cannot be ignored as easily and we still have non-IETF headers.

  Eric