Steve Price <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:54:54 -0600
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:08:36PM -0800, Patrick B. O'Brien wrote:
> I've done a restart to my sendmail which kicks stuff into gear, it clears my mailq, sometimes. I agree, that confuses me too.

In the instances that I've seen restarting the MTA (in this case
Postfix) doesn't do anything.  The messages are stuck in the
listserv spool directory and not that of the MTA.  In all of the
cases so far the email address that it gets stuck on, its
mailserver returns a 4xx (temporary) error.  What listserv does
is continue to plug away and try to deliver to that address all
the while there are others recipients of the message that are
never even tried.  Once the .mail file is manually edited to
remove the offending email address everything proceeds as normal.

Like right now I have 15 messages stuck in listserv's spool
directory because of the following:

450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
450 <[log in to unmask]>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found

I'm going to go in and remove the offending email addresses or
in this case remove the .mail files altogether and everything in
the queue will eventually go out.  Having to remove them though
is a big problem because this is a manual process that I shouldn't
have to do.

Clearly something is wrong and if it is something I've done that
I can correct I'd really like to know about it.

Thanks.

-steve