Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:25:49 -0400
A list exit affects only list-related traffic. List exits can be used in
many ways. In the context of this discussion, a list exit can be used to
prevent a subscriber from changing options on that list, or unsubscribing
from that list. It could probably be used to reject other commands which
are specific to that list. I doubt that it could be used to prevent
commands which are not related to that specific list. This would include
commands, such as 'thanks', 'lists', 'help', and other general commands.

Search the list archives for messages where the subject contains the word
'exit' and the author's address is [log in to unmask] I posted some messages
on this subject a few years ago, when the administration asked us to find
a way to prevent faculty, staff, and students from changing options or
unsubscribing from mandatory lists. If the list archives do not contain
copies of the code, I can provide copies of the code. The exits are written
in perl. We use them in LISTSERV 1.8e, running on Solaris. I have no idea
whether they will work with later versions, or on other OS platforms.

Check the LISTSERV Developer's Guide for detailed documentation about
list exits.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team