Thomas Habernoll <HABERNOL@DB0TUI11>
Thu, 18 Feb 88 22:59:46 MEZ
>Yes  but as  I  said LISTSERV  itself does  not  generate error  delivery
>notices, as it doesn't actually deliver the message: it just passes it to
>the mailer, which performs the actual physical delivery and will complain
>by itself if there is a problem.  And, the rejection notices we have been
>speaking about don't come from LISTSERV but from VMS nodes (well unless I
>have misunderstood something?)

Hmmm, maybe they have replaced CMS by VMS on this machine without
telling me. Recently I received two questions/complaints regarding
mailings from Listserv. From the user's point of view these mailings
are shitty error messages which are sent to the From: address (instead
to the list maintainer) by one of these braindamaged Bitnet mailers.
We all know that Bitnet is one the best things one could imagine,
but sometimes it is a bit difficult to explain this to aliens living
in Arpa- and UUCP-land :-)

1) If Listserv can't append a letter to the notebook for this list,
   it sends a notification (Error xyz from EXECIO while logging ...)
   to the sender of the letter. Looks not much better than these
   cryptic VMS or UUCP error messages, at least for the innocent
   user who is not able to fix the problem. Furthermore I'm not
   sure whether this notice is sent to the From: or to the Sender:
   address (if present). I have looked into LSVXMAIL, and would say
   it will go to the From: address, but I don't understand the
   code good enough to be sure. From what I have learned by the question
   of an affected user, I tend to believe that the Sender: field is
   ignored.

2) The moderator of a Usenet newsgroup sent me a complaint ("FIX YOUR
   MAILER"). because he found a batch of "rejection notices"
   from Listserv in his mailbox.