Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 20:31:29 -0500
[Mark Hunnibel]
> There is no such thing as UNIX Listserv 6.0.  You are likely referring to
> Listproc, which is not a LISTSERV program

It's certain  he was referring to  ListProc, and he  *should* be calling it
ListProc, and this *is* the wrong list for his question.  On the other hand
it's understandable  he made this  mistake,  because ListProc versions 6.0b
and earlier were  confusingly called "Listserv".   6.0c was the first to be
called ListProc; in fact, there were no features in  6.0c, only a new name,
and many  sites didn't upgrade.  He probably   doesn't even know  about the
competition between the two ... so don't be *too* hard on the guy :-).

> > I have the new sendmail working fine,...
> Apparently wrong again.  The message you sent  contained the "From " line
> of your attached message  but it was not  prefixed by sendmail with a ">"
> to read ">From ".

Mmm, well, prefixing From's, if the recipient's  mailer requires it, is the
recipient system's responsibility, not the  sender's.  It's a Unixism (i.e.
mbox format)  that mail programs depend on   "\nFrom " delimiting messages,
and when we talk to others we shouldn't pre-mangle their mail assuming they
run Unix.  In fact, not even all Unix mail programs use mbox format (MH for
example), and Sendmail can therefore be configured to  insert ">"'s or not,
as necessary.  (Usually  the >'s are added  only when delivering to an mbox
file, for  example, not to  a program.)  You could even  say  that his mail
system would be broken only if  it *were* prefixing  the From's on outbound
mail -- I would :-).  Mark, if you are using a mail filter, check that *it*
is set to add the >'s.  Just a guess :-)

Norm  (a happy LISTSERV and Sendmail 8.7.1 admin)

P.S. about the original question: the  right list is [log in to unmask]
Subscribe by  sending mail  to [log in to unmask]   And  the *answer* to the
question  is  that  ListProc  6 generates "HELO"'s    that don't include  a
hostname, something Sendmail used to tolerate but  no longer does.  Telling
ListProc it is  talking to Zmailer will take  care of the problem.  This is
in the Sendmail 8.7 readme ...
--
yours for less justice / and more charity  [archy]