Ross Wilcock <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:40:07 -0500
I look after The Chechnya List.

Last Saturday, the Warsaw server (plearn.edu.pl) apparently sent a SPAM
message with the result that this address has been put on the "Realtime
Black List " It has the effect that the PLEARN site is not pingable.

Has anyone heard of this - is it an official function or is this some kind
of email crime or mischief?

You can appreciate that there is grave concern at the moment through the
gruesome murders of the British telecommunications engineers who were trying
to restore telecommunications for Chechnya.

I don't know if the RBL is a genuine system function or something else.

If I check tracert 148.81.18.1  a message comes up pointing to the RBL
website - and tracking this ipnumeric address leads to the offending
message.

I complained to the "volunteers" who seem to run this operation who
responded that this address will remain blocked until the security problem
has been dealt with.

Can anyone explain what is going on here please?

The RBL site is at http://maps.vix.com  and  http://maps.vix.com/rbl/

Any help or advice regarding telecommunications problems with Chechnya will
be appreciated.

Ross Wilcock