Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Tue, 6 Jun 89 17:58:22 CDT
On Mon, 5 Jun 89 22:34:00 CDT you said:
>I have had this problem with other lists, and now it has suddenly
>started on this list, and I don't know why:
>
>Sometimes, when two or more users at this node (SDSUMUS) are
>signed up to the same list, we get mail addressed like this:
>
>To: User1 <ID01@SDSUMUS>, User2 <ID02@SDSUMUS>

   This is a feature of the 1.6a release which is in beta test at the
Backbone LISTSERV nearest you (NDSUVM1).  This is done to save on traffic
and make the list compatible (similar) to lists not using distribute.

>This is no problem in itself, but it also sends one copy
>for each user, so, if there are two users on the same list, each
>user gets two copies of each mail item from the list addressed
>as above. Any idea what causes this, and, more importantly, how
>to fix it?

   It sounds like the MAILER on SDSUMUS (well - FOR SDSUMUS) is broken.
Mail for SDSUMUS is sent to MAILER@SDSUVM using BSMTP (ie. in one file
with RCPT TO: for each recipient.   It sounds like the mailer may not
be handling multiple RCPT TOs in one message correctly.  (I had mentioned
this to Joe Moore there earlier.  If you need help testing multiple
RCTP TOs let me know).

   I am not sure if the CONCEAL option will turn this feature off for a user
or not.  It might be an alternative if a user does not want others to know
he or she is on a list...    But we really need to make as efficient use of
BITNET as possible...  ;-)

              Marty Hoag