Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:47:10 +0100
> Why does LISTSERV keep track of addresses on the daily error monitoring
> report when these addresses are not subscribed to the list?

A common problem is that [log in to unmask] is subscribed to the list, but the bounces come from either [log in to unmask] or from a totally different address, let's say [log in to unmask], to which the original address has been forwarded. The subscriber is on the list, but not under the same address. Active probing is the only way to detect this (other than manual investigation). However:

> We are seeing a lot of returned e-mail with forged FROM: lines that
> contain a valid LISTSERV e-mail address.

I think I may be able to deal with this, at least most of this. Key administrative messages, such as the active and passive probe messages, the welcome messages and a few more, must be tagged to the list in order for auto-delete to work. But messages like "you are not allowed to post" do not need this tag. Currently, all administrative messages are tagged, but this is overkill. In a normal scenario (no forgery), the more messages can be tagged accurately, the better. This is only a problem because of spam. Anyway, I will look into it.

  Eric