Alexander Willman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:03:45 -0400
Ben:

Thank you for the explanation.  I've tried it, and it works for messages
sent to LISTSERV, but not for messages sent by LISTSERV (unless perhaps
those messages were directed back through LISTSERV).

I have tried to implement a similar procedure within the sendmail that
is receiving messages from our LISTSERV, but doing so doesn't isolate
LISTSERV.  I've managed to capture some of the "Delivery error report
from" messages after being received by only one sendmail, but not any
"Undelivered mail" messages yet.

I have managed to get a couple of the "Undelivered mail" messages
delivered to my hotmail account, removing two pieces of our e-mail
infrastructure from the mix.  The messages arrived at my hotmail account
after passing through only two sendmail-based SMTP servers, and they had
the MIME boundary problem.

I doubt that sendmail is mucking with the MIME boundaries, and I doubt
that both hotmail and our local messaging servers would do it, both in
the same way.  The only piece left is LISTSERV.

You may want to try generating an "Undelivered mail" message as follows:
  Subscribe an invalid e-mail address to a list, then try to set or
change the password for that address via the web interface.  LISTSERV
should try to send a confirmation message to the invalid address, then
generate an "Undelivered mail" message to the postmaster when sending
the confirmation message fails.  (That's what happens when I do it, at
least.)

			Alex