Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:25:50 CDT
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 21:40:17 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>LISTSERV's use of "Approved-By:" has nothing to do with usenet and is
>purposefully different to avoid interfering with "Approved:" lines.

Hmmm.  Since it seems that most Usenet servers accept it anyway, your
attempt to keep from iterfering seems to be moot.  Besides, it is a
useful 'feature' when gatewaying lists.  Especially when the list is
set up as:

* Send= Editor
* Editor= (another list of a whole bunch of people who can post on their own)
* Moderator= moderator 1
* Moderator= moderator 2

If it were just the Moderators, it wouldn't be a big deal since we could
force the tag into the header using our Mail User Agent.  But it would
be a royal pain to try to teach that "whole bunch of people" how to do
that (not to mention that they might abuse the knowlege on other
moderated groups).

I don't suppose it would be too much to ask to reconsider and have
Listserv use the regular Approved: tag, would it?  Of course, it
might be just as easy to get the mail2news program to automagically
change it, but that would be "programming for odd header tags".  I
seem to recall you having some not-so-nice things to say about doing
things like that (and with good reason).