Date:       Thu, 29 Mar 90 15:54:28 BST
From:       Ken Warner <[log in to unmask]>
To:         postmast@TECMTYVM, scheutje@HWALHW50
Subject:    looping LISTSERV discussion

We (PHOENIX.CAMBRIDGE.AC.UK) recently rejected a large amount of mail
sent on the POLYMERP list to our user CJGP, who is away.

Our failreports used the 'Sender:' information from the received mail,
which is the correct approach.  Unfortunately because of an incorrectly
configured LISTSERV somewhere it seems that our failreports were
broadcast to the list.

[log in to unmask] sends ONLY fail reports.  It is
entirely reasonable to configure individual LISTSERV systems so that
this username cannot broadcast to a list, if that is the only means
available for breaking the loop.

Ken Warner - PostMaster.