"Richard A. Schafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Aug 89 15:15:00 CDT
Now that the 8908 BITEARN NODES update is available, we are planning
on changing our nodename from RICE to RICEVM1.  The alias name is
in the 8908 NODUPD file, so when people start applying those routing
tables to their systems, we can start using that name for outgoing
mail and messages.  (We can already accept it, since RSCS will handily
reroute things for us at this end.)

What do we have to do for LISTSERV to continue to function?  I presume
that the PEERS NAMES files need to be updated by Eric(?) so that when
we change our nodename to RICEVM1 the between-LISTSERV traffic won't
get rejected.  Is that all that needs to be done?

Also, does anyone have a good way for our users to change their nodenames
on all of the lists they may have subscribed to around the world?  I
remember Michael Gettes routine back a while when Boston College was
changing its name, but I've been told that this really would not be a
good idea to do over again.

Any ideas will be helpful.  Our current plan is to change the nodename
over Labor Day weekend, if at all possible.

Richard

P.S. You might ask why we're doing this.  It has to do with a reorganization
that took effect July 1.  The department I've been working for the past
15 years was split into 2 departments.  In addition, we have had mucho
problems with having the Internet host rice.edu being a different machine
from the BITNET host rice.  Eventually, we may actually make that machine
the bitnet host RICE, but for some time we'll just make RICE an alias of
RICEVM1 to help people out.