Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:40:16 +1100

> So the first thing I did was to fire up site.exe and change
> the postmaster
> to my email address and change the password.

Make sure your email address is the first one that is shown.  There can be a
few in the list (for redundancy) but the first one is considered G.O.D.  By
default, the primary site maintainer is default owner for all lists (someone
please correct me if I'm wrong) and should thus be granted all owner
privileges.

> So, being a bit of a hacker (NOT Cracker) I had a look in the
> .LIST file
> for the list in question and edited the owner portion of it
> so that it was
> my email address instead of my predecessor.

You should never edit the .LIST files by hand, especially in Windows.
They're stored in a special file format that can be corrupted easily which
explains the error you're seeing.  The correct way of editing a list header
is to GET it, make your changes, then PUT it.  Otherwise use the web
interface.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you get a copy of the Site
Manager's manual at ftp://ftp.lsoft.com/DOCUMENTS/sitemgr.pdf and the
Owner's Manual at ftp://ftp.lsoft.com/DOCUMENTS/owner.pdf.  They overlap a
lot on the Owner's functions but it's useful to have both.

--
Regards,
Michael Shannon

Chazzozz!!

This email message (and attachments) may contain information confidential to
TOWER Software.  If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use,
distribute or copy the message or message attachments.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email immediately and
delete all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the
official business of TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.