Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 13 Mar 1987 14:57 SET
  I have just completed a mass mailing to the subscribers of the various large
BITNIC  lists who  were not  subscribed to  the nearest  LISTSERV housing  the
lists. I REViewed the  major BITNIC lists, stored them on  my LISTSERV under a
different name and asked it to point  out the subscribers which could be moved
to a  nearer place. I  then wrote a program  which built DISTRIBUTE  MAIL jobs
from this  info, asking people  to relocate  their subscriptions. I  made some
calculations  and have  reasons to  believe  that, considering  the fact  that
DISTRIBUTE was used  to carry out the notes, this  mass mailing generated less
load than the piece of mail you are now reading (sent to 3 lists).

  I was  surprised at  the success of  this mass mailing.  I checked  only the
LIAISON list, but it appears that more than 25 people have already moved their
subscription to  a better server.  I would like  to thank everybody  for their
cooperation  and understanding,  notably Ricky  who sent  me the  list of  all
BITNIC lists with number of subscribers, etc.

Cheers, Eric