Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 May 1991 11:23:00 CDT
On Wed, 29 May 91 11:20:37 EDT Terri Cameron said:
> We have our telephone directory on an xedit file that our user community
> can access through a simple REXX exec called NAMES.  We would also like to
> make that available as a DIRECTORY to BITNET.  Please let me know if anyone
> responds to you directly.
>
> Terri Cameron, Office Automation Administrator

2 points:

1) You should think twice about calling your REXX exec NAMES
as that is also the name of the IBM NAMES exec.  If you do
use the same name for a local program, at least have the
local program be a 'competing product' (eg.  Have an exec
called NAMES which executes LNAME).  Other suggestions for
your current program would be WHOIS, FINGER, &/or LOOKUP.

2)  As you have no doubt seen from Mark Williams message earlier,
there already is a local mod for LISTSERV called WHOIS.  It would
probably be a good idea to get that package and hack it to lookup
your local telephone directory (in fact, I have those exact plans
for my site...).

Virtually,
Chris Barnes                           x045cb@tamvm1            (BITNET)
(409) 845-8300                         [log in to unmask]  (Internet)