"John F. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Mar 1992 13:15:00 EST
> >Your mail is being returned to you.
> >Reason for return is:
> >%MAIL-E-NOSUCHUSR, no such user MAILER at node SUVAX1
> >Returned mail follows:
> >------------------------------
>
> When sending mail to node STETSON I get the above error message!
>
> Does this imply that there is no MAILER running at SUVAX1?

My guess is that SUVAX1 is the DECNET name of the BITNET node STETSON.
As I understand it, DECNET names can't have more than 6 characters, so
STETSON clearly can't be used on a DECNET.  Note that SUVAX1 is not
defined on BITNET.  It obviously isn't running a MAILER (or it wasn't
running on the day you got that complaint), but the XMAILER NAMES files
says it is.  Unfortunately, mailers on VMS systems aren't generally true
userids, just daemons, so there is likely to be no trace of the mailer
if it happens to be down at the moment.
                                       John