Gregory Decker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:45:58 -0400

> I am using the UNIX version of listserv and have NOT
> been able to make files available to any of the lists
> we have on our machine.  The only thing I have been able
> to do is to put the files in the notebook directory and
> tell the owner to advertise anonymnous ftp to get the shared
> files.
> --
>
> Beth Engelbrecht-Wiggans        [log in to unmask]         333-8627
> Research Programmer             CCSO                    1503 DCL, MC 256

I believe this the ticket. Access codes are case sensitive! If that 'all' is
not 'ALL' any list with a catalog will not INDEX. This just bit me. 'owner'
better be 'OWNER' while you are at it. You may have a version of 1.8b that
contains the ability for sub-catalogs. It is in some 1.8b UNIX
versions but maybe not in all. See the documentation below(from Eric).

Gregory Decker
National Institutes of Health/DCRT/NSB
PH:  301-402-4763
FAX: 301-480-6041
EMail: [log in to unmask]

Here is the info on the new file server stuff. I don't have a list of new
features, although  I could send you  a list of the  development APARs in
1.8c.

*********************
* Preliminary notes *
*********************

The update makes it possible to  specify filenames in native OS format in
the catalogs. Thus, you can now write:

MY.FILE        /home/lists/xyz/my.file      ALL [log in to unmask]

instead of:

MY.FILE        my.file./home/lists/xyz      ALL [log in to unmask]

All  examples will  be given  in the  new native  format. The  old format
remains supported for  compatibility. You MUST use the old  format if any
of the directories in the path contains a period.

The new syntax does not remove the restriction that all files manipulated
by  LISTSERV must  be accessible  through LISTSERV's  OS-independent file
access  methods. This  means that  files  whose name  contains spaces  or
control  characters (or,  under unix,  mixed case  characters) cannot  be
accessed. Similarly, files whose name does not contain a period cannot be
manipulated by  LISTSERV. There  is no  limit on the  length of  the file
name, only  on its contents. Note  that these "system filenames"  are not
visible to the end  users, who refer to the file in  the above example as
MY.FILE (or my.file - LISTSERV is not case sensitive).

in  a  predefined   directory.  With  the  LISTSERV-ISP   add  on  (under
development), a quota can be imposed on the directory in question.

The procedure works as follows:

1. The LISTSERV administrator creates  the sub-catalog and identifies the
   directory where the  files will be stored, and the  person(s) who will
   be in charge of managing it ("catalog owners").

2. The  catalog owners  use  the GET  and PUT  commands  to update  their
   catalog and register  new files in their directory. Each  file has the
   usual GET  and PUT file access  codes, allowing the catalog  owners to
   further delegate the  management of individual files  to third parties
   ("file owners").

3. The  file owners manage  the files in question  using the GET  and PUT
   commands.  Authorized  users can  retrieve  the  files using  the  GET
   command.

This enhancement will be released together  with version 1.8c for all non
VM versions of  LISTSERV. This functionality is already  available in the
VM version, using a different syntax.

follows:

MY.CATALOG     /home/lists/xyz/my.catalog   ALL [log in to unmask]

(1)            (2)             (3)          (4) (5)

Notes:

(1) The name must end in '.CATALOG', but otherwise it can be anything. In
    particular, there does not need to be a list by that name.

(2) This is the directory where  ALL the files defined in the sub-catalog
    will  be  stored. DO  NOT  USE  LISTSERV'S  MAIN DIRECTORY  FOR  THIS
    PURPOSE! The catalog owner will be given FULL ACCESS to all the files
    in this directory, so make sure  to create a new, empty directory. If
    the sub-catalog is  being set up for  a list owner, it may  be a good
    idea  to put  the  list  archives and  the  sub-catalog  in the  same
    directory.

(3) A  file name must be  provided for the sub-catalog  file itself. This
    name, however, does not need to match (1).

(4) This  file   access  code  controls   the  authority  to   INDEX  the
    sub-catalog. This  will also be the  default GET access code  for all
    the files registered in the sub-catalog.

(5) This file  access code defines the catalog owner(s)  and default file
    owner(s) for all the files in the sub-catalog.

Note  that  there is  no  need  to  reboot  LISTSERV after  updating  the
SITE.CATALOG file.  Also, bear in mind  that you are responsible  for the
OS-level security of  the directory you create for the  catalog. The file
access  codes in  SITE.CATALOG  only affect  operations  that go  through
LISTSERV; it is your responsibility to  make sure that other users of the
computer  are given  the appropriate  access level  to any  directory you
create for LISTSERV's purposes.

****************************
* Updating the sub-catalog *
****************************

Once the  sub-catalog is created,  the catalog owner(s) can  register new
files using the following procedure (in  this example, it will be assumed
that the sub-catalog is called MY.CATALOG):

1. Send a GET MY.CATALOG command to LISTSERV (or, if the catalog is brand
   new, start from an empty file).

2. Register new file(s) in the catalog (see below).

3. Use the PUT MY.CATALOG PW=XXXXX command to store the updated catalog.

Alternatively, if the  catalog owner has an account on  the LISTSERV host
system and write access to the directory associated with the sub-catalog,
the file  can be edited  directly. Note however  that, in that  case, the
LISTSERV-ISP quota system  will be inoperative as it has  no control over
disk accesses which do not go through LISTSERV itself.

The format of sub-catalogs is similar to that of SITE.CATALOG:

MY.FILE        my.file                      ALL [log in to unmask]
(1)            (2)                          (3) (4)

Notes:

(1) This defines the name of the file as seen by LISTSERV users. That is,
    the command to retrieve the file will be GET MY.FILE.

(2) This defines the  name of the actual disk file  where the contents of
    MY.FILE will be stored. Normally, you should specify the same as (1),
    or just  an equal sign  (LISTSERV will  then substitute the  name you
    provided for  (1)). However,  in some  cases you may  want to  make a
    particular file available  under multiple names. This can  be done by
    registering multiple  files (ie multiple  values for (1)),  and using
    the same (2) value every time.

(3) This file access code determines who can order the file through a GET
    command. See the list owner's guide for more information.

(4) This file access code determines who can update the file with the PUT
    command. See the list owner's guide for more information.

Note: (2) defaults  to the value of  (1), and (3) and (4)  default to the
GET and PUT access codes of  the sub-catalog itself, respectively. So, in
most cases a sub-catalog entry will be as simple as:

MY.FILE

Additionally, comment  lines (starting with  an asterisk) or  blank lines
can be interspersed with file  definitions. These comments will be echoed
when the  sub-catalog is indexed (see  below), in sequence with  the file
definitions. For instance, your catalog could read:

*
* Files for the XYZ sub-project
*
XYZ.AGENDA
XYZ.BUDGET
XYZ.PROPOSAL-1
XYZ.PROPOSAL-2

* Indexing the sub-catalog *

If MY.CATALOG is defined as:

MY.CATALOG     /home/lists/xyz/my.catalog   xxx [log in to unmask]

Any user who matches the 'xxx' file access code is authorized to issue an
INDEX  MY  command  to  get  a formatted  version  of  the  catalog.  For
compatibility  with  older versions  of  LISTSERV,  GET MY.FILELIST  will
produce the same results. If there is a mailing list called MY, a list of
the archive files will be appended automatically.