Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:18:43 -0400
At 2:46 PM -0400 4/28/09, Michael O'Neill wrote about Monitoring Listserv:
>I need to monitor Listserv so I know when it goes down.  We are running 14.4 on Solaris and want to monitor the system using Sitescope.  I've seen mention in other postings about managers running a job every xx number of minutes to make sure the system is still running.  What kind of job would that be?  What does it look for?

I run a perl script every 15 minutes.  It checks to make sure the PID file exists:
/var/spool/listserv/listserv.PID
If it does not exist, it kills an lsv processes and reboots.

It then does a "ps" on the pid and sees if has run up any time since the last time we checked.  If it has not clocked any time since we last check, it kills and reboots.

Be happy to send you the script.

--
Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
204S Wagner Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)