Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 Aug 1993 03:27:00 +0200
On Mon, 23 Aug 1993 18:51:24 CST Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]> said:

>How 'bout LISTSERV.LSOFT.COM? Or LISTSERV.L-SOFT.COM?

The problem is that  L-Soft does not own SEARN and  that this little name
change might suddenly make a lot of things more complicated. People would
think the service is provided by L-Soft rather than SUNET and financed by
their license  fees, and so would  the higher-ups who ultimately  pay for
SEARN.  They would  think L-Soft  should be  sent a  hefty bill  for that
service, which I doubt L-Soft would care  to pay since it does not derive
any benefits from the GLX, which on  the other hand is very useful to the
academic users SEARN is designed to serve.  As it stands I don't have any
problem running this as a SUNET service because it costs virtually no CPU
time and is useful  to Swedish users; in principle it should  be run as a
Nordic-only service  if possible,  but you  can't have  a MX  record that
returns a different answer based on the country of the person issuing the
query.

  Eric