Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:51:59 -0400
>What effect, if any, does Listserv have on attachments?  I have a group
>of users who are experiencing the following problem:  When they send
>mail with attachments to eachother, the attachment is "attached"
>normally, but when they send attachments through Listserv, the message
>shows up with the following at the top:
>
>  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable
>text,
>  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware
>tools.
>  Send mail to [log in to unmask] for more info.
>
>The attachment is then included encoded in the message and has to be
>decoded (say with WinZip).  That solution works for me, but is
>apparently unworkable for my users.
>
>I realize that this problem probably has something to do with the mail
>program they are using, because when I send from Outlook through
>Listserv there is no difference in the way that files are attached.
>However, obviously Listserv is doing something, and I'd like to know
>what the difference is.  Does it have something to do with the format
>that the attachments are sent in?  What exactly is happening here?  Any
>insights would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Kirsten Petersen

Presumably something's happening to the MIME headers in the message;
you might see this problem if you're set to SHORTHDR, for instance.
If SHORTHDR isn't the source of the problem, you can try forwarding
sample headers to this mailing list for analysis.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc