Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 May 1999 18:00:54 -0600
On Mon, 3 May 1999 16:37:10 -0400, Dave Rubin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Whenever I start Listserv, it crashes. The last message in the log file is
>"This license will expire on 16 Jan 2000."  Then the process dumps core.
>
>We had a power failure last week which could be related to the problem. It
>is very possible that some files that listserv needs were corrupted, if it
>was writing to them at the time of the power failure.

Yes, this is likely.

>I notice that the bitearn and peers files were last updated just before the
>problem started occuring.  I am guessing that maybe these files are
>corrupted?

Not likely.  These are read only files.  There are other files (such as
permvars.file and any signup.fileN files what are much more likely to be
corrupted in a crash.  If you want you can delete permvars.file and attempt a
restart.  LISTSERV will build a new one (but you will lose various counters,
active cookies, etc.)

If you are a licensed site you can write to [log in to unmask] with the following
info:

If there is a core file after the crash, we need you to run 'dbx lsv core'
against it and then 'where' to get a traceback (or 'gdb lsv core' followed
by 'bt').  We then need you to send us the traceback and the last 100 or
so entries in listserv.log prior to the crash.

If there is no core file you may need to increase the system's core dump
limits.  Alternately it's possible you may be running up against a per-
user process memory quota, which may simply need to be increased for the
'listserv' user.