Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 10:17:37 -0700
At 09:41 PM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The "To:" line works sometimes only.  It is not reliable.  Sometimes the list
>is in a Cc: or Bcc:, and only some lists rewrite the To: header.  It's not
>even clear to me whether the RFC's permit rewriting the To: header, but
that's
>getting off topic I think.
>
>In a Eudora (POP) account, I have yet to come up with a "perfect" algorithm
>for several lists, since I have no useful "From " or "Return-Path:" header.

Well, interesting, as I have no problem getting full header info in
EudoraPro3.0.  The point, however, is still that on over a hundred users
I've trained on a number of email systems, including GroupWise and Eudora,
on sorting their lists into folders, I've never found a list yet that can't
be sorted consistently and perfectly in all of them.  Yes, sometimes you
even have to select on the bcc: from some lists in GroupWise, but once
you've found that key for that list in that mailer, I've never seen a list
change on what works.  And my users are very vocal, so I tend to believe
that nothing has bitten them.

>Plus, one of the big uses for the '[xxx-L]' for those who sign up for it is
>that it works for low traffic lists *not* sorted into their own folder.  They
>can be spotted by eye, and "sort by subject" gets all the '[xxx-L]' posts
>together.

True, but I just solve that by making folders for ALL my lists, even the
low traffic ones.  Does no harm, is quick and easy.

Again, I'm NOT complaining about the idea that the listname be added even
if there is no subject, and it "sounds like it would be trivial" to change.
 Of course it might not be.  And, I don't think that any of this suggests
ANY need for LSoft "to admit they goofed" or whatever has been said.  I
don't really care whether they forgot it, never thought of it, made a
coding error, or for some reason decided it was an ungood thing to do.  I
find that keeping things positive is much more useful than insulting
someone that you want something from.  Think my mother said something about
flies, vinegar, and honey.  Ring a bell?

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.