Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 09:54:42 PDT
> Date:         Thu, 5 Sep 1996 08:14:40 CDT
> From: Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
>
> With the advent of PC word processing packages, mainframe document
> languages are obsolete  (all imho, of course).

You are comparing apples and baseballs, Chris. Things like latex/gml/html/
sgml are not "mainframe" document languages. They are simply languages.
They are not (necessarily) obsolete because of the advent of PC
word processing packages (by which I assume you mean things like Word/
WP). Some of these tag-oriented languages are very much at the forefront
of today's text formatting (and more); their role is just not so much
at the user interface today.
Peter R