Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:30:00 +1000
Jos

it looks like you never got an answer to this one.

>Okay, so, this isn't a problem.  But what we want to know is this; we
>have another list where the reason for having the list is completed.
>It is still there but no longer being used.  So what we would like to
>do is to somehow reclaim the license points allocated to the defunct
>list.  We tried removing all the subscribers for that list, but we're
>still getting the messages.  Is there something more we need to do to
>get listserv to deallocate the license points?

The only way to claim back a licence point is to delete the list entirely.
This means removing all listname.xxx files from LISTSERV's Main directory.

>We don't really want to
>delete the archives, because we'd like to have them available for
>reference.  Anybody have any ideas on this one?

You can still preserve the list's Notebook files for future reference.  In
fact, it's recommended that you back them up before deleting a list (see
the online FAQ here
<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#_Toc64429914>).

You can even keep the listname.html and the list's subdirectory in the web
root.  However, LISTSERV won't automatically update the HTML and index
files during future refreshes; as far as LISTSERV knows, they don't even
exist.  This may lead to the HTML files becoming stale or the index
files(archives/listname/listname.ind*) possibly losing their 'pointers' to
the Notebooks and/or making web searches impossible.

Note that retreiving the Notebook(s) via e-mail will also be problematic.
Because there is no list associated with the files you'll need to manually
add them to the SITE.CATALOG (See chapter 8.4.1 of the Site Maintainers
Manual).  You'll lose the ability to search them through e-mail, too.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.