Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 26 Sep 1986 21:38 SET
  I just spent two hours finding  why an INTERPRET function in LSVIMAIL crashed
from time to time on one of our local lists. I traced and traced and traced and
everything seemed to be ok, but it still  crashed. Here is how I found: (log is
as it appeared on my console)

(...)
 say '/'varname'/'
/LSVU@N(whom)/
 v = 'LSVU@N(whom)'
 say '/'v'/'
/LSVU@N(whom)/
 say v = varname
0
 say length(v)
12
 say length(varname)
12

  Now, after  having rubbed  your eyes  ten times,  you have  right to  take an
aspirin before reading the rest :-)

  On our consoles we can display the full french set of accentuated characters,
but some of them  cannot be ENTERED on the keyboard. A  student wrote an ACCENT
XEDIT macro  a long time ago  which converts "^e"  to an accentuated e,  etc. I
used that macro to prepare the FRENCH MAILFORM file, of course.

  Now this character: @ (accentuated a) is  not the same as this one: Ö (accen-
tuated a).  I looked at  every pixel of  the thing as  closely as I  could, but
found no difference. The hex code is  not the same, though. The *clever* ACCENT
macro converts the @ into a Ö. The latter is an invalid REXX character, though.
Morals:

1) <censored  paragraph  about the  *sensibility*  and  *intelligence* of  IBM>

2) BEWARE OF  NATIONAL CHARACTER SET!!  When you prepare a  mailform containing
   national characters,  please be sure  that there is no  incompatibility with
   the MAILER,  for example. Fyi, I  had to change  the names of two  users who
   had signed on  with accentuated e and  i in their names,  because the MAILER
   rejected anything  sent to them (*cough*  those characters do NOT  appear in
   the "specials = " definition in RFC822 STANDARD. Yet... it was the very same
   message...)

  About "Language=" keyword: LSVFDATE can now produce the date in three langua-
ges, and  the V1.4d  mailform can  translate the 'remark'  field into  the same
languages: french, spanish and catalan. I found myself unable to translate ANY-
THING at all into  spanish/italian/russian ( ;-) ) because I  just have no idea
of what the technical terms can be in those idioms, so I can't help any further
(Jose  provided  the  spanish  and  catalan translations).  If  you  want  your
country's language to  be supported by LISTSERV, and have  15 minutes to devote
to some boring translation, just let me  know and I'll send you the appropriate
files so that you may update them  and make them available to the Ever Grateful
(??) World :-)

  Finally,  about "Service=",  I decided  to provide  a special  countryname of
"Europe". Since I have no idea of what the very official Europe is, I arbitrari
ly decided that anything that is on  EARN is in Europe, period. Countries which
are not yet connected  may or may not have been  assigned the correct contient.
Perhaps I should C/Europe/EARN/ to avoid any confusion?

  Eric