"David Boyes (Network Postmaster)" <556@OREGON1>
Thu, 11 Dec 86 18:37:51 PST
Well, here's my 2 cents worth on list standards. For lists that are totally loc
al (private lists), call them anything you want provided you don't mess anyone
else up. For network-wide lists both with and without peers, use something desc
riptive and postfix an '-L' to it to indicate that is is a distribution list. I
 know that this decreases the unique identification to 6 characters, but I thin
k that 127**6 possible combinations (I think -- don't call me on the math. It's
 been a long time) should be more than enough, even subtracting userids that ar
e already in use. ARPA lists are going to be a problem with this scheme, but li
ke someone said, most of them already have nice abbreviations tht the people th
at are handling the peer list for each list can agree on an 8 character abbrevi
ation that will be suitable for that list.

Another comment: Please folks, no RSCS mods or additional DVMs to solve this! T
his poor 4341 can barely keep up as is, and putting another DVM up literally me
ans that we can't log on another user. Same with RSCS/CP/CMS mods -- we (and ma
ny other smaller sites) just don't have the personnel or the time to maintain s
tuff like that -- here they even take English profs as systems programmers if y
ou ever make the mistake of demonstrating competence at S/370 assembler...8-).

Comments?

David Boyes
Systems
University of Oregon Computing Center