Kenneth Ng <KEN@ORION>
Thu, 4 Feb 88 03:40:34 EST
To help prevent mailer loops from bogging down the network, has any
thought ever been given to installing 'circuit breaker' parameters to
lists?  I envision keeping a counter of the number of mail items
processed on given list on a given day.  If the number exceeds a
programable threshold, the 'breaker trips', further traffic to the
list is disabled, and a message is sent off to the list owner, who
can hopefully figure out and correct the problem.  This would be
even more valuable for those lists which distribute once a day during
the wee hours of the morning, when normal network watchdogs are either
asleep, or reaching the end of their waking hours.

For example: Risks digest comes out a couple times a week.  Seeing
2 in a day is uncommon, and 10 would be almost unheard of.  A short
time back a loop developed and I got about 60 copies of a reject message.
If the circuit breaker had been set at 10, there would have been a lot
less network traffic.