Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:14:49 EDT
> >My list is in the works. It starts with a list maintainers manual.
>
> The list maintainer's manual should start public review by the end of the
> month.
>
>   Eric

I'm glad to hear that the long overdue LISTSERV Maintainers Manual (I
hope that's what is meant) will be out soon.  Documentation has never
been LISTSERV's strong point.  :-)

Greg and I are both here at NIH.  The decision to use Unix LISTSERV was
mine and not his.  He wasn't even here then.  :-)  Most of the
complaints that I have heard from Greg deal with the lack of
documentation for the LISTSERV maintainer (him) and some less than
perfect fits between the way LISTSERV does things and the way they are
normally done on Solaris or on Unix in general.  Greg had the fun job
of bringing up LISTSERV on Solaris and handling the Unix side of the
conversion from VM LISTSERV without having used LISTSERV before and
with very little documentation.  I'm sure he will supply more details
(and maybe some of the conversion scripts he developed) as his time
permits.  My wish list is more concerned with improvements for the
postmasters, list owners, and users, rather than the LISTSERV
maintainer.  That's what I see.  I've never been a LISTSERV maintainer.