Matthew Black <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:24:10 +0000
Thanks for the tips. We have no archives yet and I do NOT want to copy the entire configuration.

In addition to copying from ~LISTSERV/MAIN *.LIST, *.MAILTPL, *.WWWTPL, I also discovered the need to:

2. Create empty directory folders into ~LISTSERV/WWW/ARCHIVES for each list
3. Copy *.HTML and *.WWWTPL to ~LISTSERV/WWW/ARCHIVES for each list

At this point I only have 10 production lists.

matthew black
california state university, long beach

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ben Parker
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Migrating lists to a new server

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:48:07 +0000, Matthew Black <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Is it possible to simply copy the four list files from the ~LISTSERV/MAIN directory from one server to another and then simply bounce it?
>
>Example:
>AA-WEBMASTER.LIST
>AA-WEBMASTER.MAILTPL
>AA-WEBMASTER.OLDLIST
>AA-WEBMASTER.WWWTPL

Yes, sort of.  I would not copy AA-WEBMASTER.OLDLIST.  Just save the list on
the new server after the move and it will create a new *.OLDLIST file.

If you keep message archives (Notebook= Yes,...) the directory path may be
different on the new server so it must be edited.  The *.LIST files are binary
format and platform/OS agnostic.  The *.*TPL (and other files like
*.CHANGELOG, message archives, etc.) are plain-text format.  Windows 32-bit to
64-bit is not a problem.  Windows to Linux (or Linux to Windows) is a minor
problem because of the different end-of-line convention (Windows= CRLF, Linux=
LF) but there are conversion utilities.  And, if you are moving Windows to
Linux, you need to change all the filenames to lower case.

So it is not quite so simple as you may have hoped.  There are 'gotchas' out
to get you...

LISTSERV Migration to new server
http://www.lsoft.com/resources/whitepaper-download.asp?id=204

LISTSERV Migration to new server (Cross Platform and whenever above is N/A)
ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/docs/FastMigration.zip

LISTSERV Bulk Editing List Header changes
ftp://dropbox.lsoft.us/download/docs/LIST-TEXT.zip

Item #2 and #3 are undergoing revision to make them more applicable for cross
platform migrations (Win2Linux or Linux2Win) but they are still useful as-is.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: