"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Oct 1990 11:45:52 SET
On Fri, 19 Oct 1990 11:16:10 +0100 Serge Aumont said:
> This week a big loop occurs between sunir.reunir.fr RFC987 gateway and
>the cyber-l somewhere in bitnet area.
>
>Who is FAULTY?
>--------------
>         We say listserv because:
>         1)  A distribution list should never put its own address in MAIL FROM
>       ...   There are enough reasons in RFC-821, RFC-822 and RFC-1123 to
>             prove This.
>         2)  A liste such a CYBER_L, should not tolerate having
>             mailer-daemon or Postmaster or ... talking in the list.
>RFC-1123/3160
>=============
>
>              The MAIL FROM: information may be passed as a parameter or
>              in a Return-Path: line inserted at the beginning of the
>              message.

Well, here  we go again. I  was rather curious after  reading the opening
lines 'cause I expected to see  the applicable parts of the various RFCs.
To my disappointment - and, of course, in my opinion - they prove next to
nothing.
All it  proves is that RETURN-PATH  is the correct address  for returning
error replies. If  you interpret the above RFC-1123/3160  as extension to
RFC821/RFC822 then you have one of the following:
 a) MAIL FROM: has to be a "valid" Return-Path         (RFC821)
 b) MAIL FROM: is taken from Sender:                   (RFC821)
    Sender:    has to be a valid Return-Path           (RFC822)
And note the *MAY* in the above quote ...

As  for  RFC822/1424 the  quote  says  ".... at  the  time  of the  final
deliver.".

LISTSERV/LISTEARN (and some  other facilities as well)  are RFC822 based,
nothing else. There is this big flaw  in RFC822 (and also RFC821 for that
matter) and unless you  enforce a new standard you have  to live with the
possibilty of other interpretations.
As I said this  is my personal opinion, I haven't  read the RFCs recently
and I also don't take part in their development. As user and postmaster I
can only say that  you just can't say: though it is  not stated in RFC822
from now on  the Sender: field must  not point to a  list because RFCnnnn
maps this field to Return-Path.

>         2)  A liste such a CYBER_L, should not tolerate having
>             mailer-daemon or Postmaster or ... talking in the list.
Well indeed, knowing the mentioned  weakness of RFC822 Eric added various
checks. Now if only one could point to some official standard which would
help to indentify all the flavours  of names and addresses these daemons,
gateways and so on have.

All  this seems  to  be  a never  ending  discussion.  Probably the  most
interesting solution would be: discard the Sender: field entirely and let
the BSMTP MAIL FROM: point to the "human who wrote the message (hwwtm)".
Why?
  1) It avoids loops  since there is no reference to  the list (well, you
     can put it in a Comment: or X-:)
  2)  Strictly seen  such delivery  errors are  only of  interest to  the
     "hwwtm" that the mail wasn't delivered to it final destination.
     The only exceptions are
     a) the  server's code creates  invalid addresses, then it  should be
        directed to the servers maintainer/postmaster
     b) the MTA erred - similar to a)
     c) the  Owner added  an invalid  address, it should  be sent  to the
        Owner
     Since even the  smartest gateways, daemons, etc. are  unable to make
     this distinction and  only a small fraction of mail  is returned for
     the  reasons above  it'd  be the  best  to return  the  item to  the
     "hwwtm",  since it's  the  person  who should  be  notfied that  the
     intended audience couldn't be conatcted.
  3) Any software relying on RSCS TAGs, RFC822 fields or NJE filenames to
     determine other  attributes than "hwwtm", Subject,  date and various
     flavours of organizational names, software  levels of daemons or the
     number  of pins  of  the  transmission cables  does  so without  any
     explicit RFC specification and therefore on it's own risk.
  4) RFC822  mail  is  an anachronism  and should  make  room for  better
     standards.

Anyway it's not a real problem  since OSI, TCP/IP and similar things will
make gateways obsolete and everything will be a direct communication. And
I'm  very eager  to  spend my  day discarding  the  various delivery  and
non-delivery reports.

Christian