"John M. Roraback, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:58:42 -0400
In a message dated 97-08-30 03:42:28 EDT, Ben Parker
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>  On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:29:47 -0400, "John M. Roraback"
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  >I have checked the manual for Ver. 1.8c, but don't see a command
>  >which would allow me to change a subscriber's e-mail address
>  >without doing the delete/add thing. Am I missing something?
>
>  No.  This is presently the only way.  Note that user options settings
(e.g.
>  digest) are also lost when doing this.
>
>  DELETE listname user@oldaddress
>  ADD listname user@newaddress User Name

Yes...Thanks Ben... I my rush to get that note off I neglected to mention
that most important issue of loss of user option settings when you use the
delete/add method of chaning a user's e-mail address. Since all subscribers
to the lists I operate are subscribed to all 40+ the lists in this group, and
all the lists use TOPICS, this is a very significant issue for me. I find
most folks have trouble just understanding how to use the options, let alone
keep track of how they have set them for this meany lists.

I wouldn't use such a complicated set-up if there was some other way, but it
allows folks to be selective in the mail items they receive in ways mailer
program filters wouldn't allow.

Would love to see a "Change address" command implemented for LISTSERV.

John Roraback