Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:59:23 -0500
    I used to administer LISTSERV(tm) here long ago but the
current administrators came to me and I volunteered to check
with this list. We're having some mysterious behavior lately.
I just wanted to send a quick note to see if anyone else has
seen this or it is an old problem. We've just started looking
into this.

    We've had a couple of Spamcop complaints which seem to be
associated with messages to lists with Send= Private but
from "non-subscribers".

    When investigating it the administrators saw many (hundreds?)
of log entries (e.g., confirmation requests) from addresses in
the form   [log in to unmask]  where xxx, YYY, and ZZZ
would vary some throughout the day but the "dadisman" part
seemed to stay the same. The e-mail to the lists came
from those same sorts of addresses but when we looked at
the list they were no longer subscribed. We're still
checking to try to see if they were momentarily subscribed
then signed off. Apparently some of the lists were set up
for Open,Confirm subscriptions and some By_Owner.

    We think the affected lists are Confidential=No or "public"
(most of ours are Yes). Looking at our SMTP mailscanner front
end system (before the mail is passed on to LISTSERV) it appears
there were hundreds of requests and a wide range of IP address
origins for the e-mail so it may be some sort of bot activity.
We don't have changelogs on most of our lists but we will do
some more checking to see if we can figure out how the actual
message is getting out (the headers look legitimate and the "bogus"
messages were apparently in the archives of the lists checked).

    Have any of the rest of you seen something like this
lately? If this is old news I apologize but in a quick search
of the LSTSRV-L I didn't seen anything that matched.

    Thanks!  marty