"Michael C. Berch" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Jun 1993 17:22:16 -0800
Una Smith writes:

> SCIFAQ-L is, as far
> as I know, the first gateway from Usenet to a mailing list, and the
> first mailing list gated to a *.answers newsgroup.  It is only a few
> months old, so it is not surprising that there are a few problems.

Huh???  There are zillions of gateways between Usenet and mailing
lists, both on the Internet, BITNET, and UUCP mail network, including
the bionet.*/BIOSCI gateway here that you have commented about in
bionet postings.  In addition to normal Usenet groups, there is the
"inet" distribution, the "info.*" hierarchy, and the entire
bit.listserv.* hierarchy.

I should point out that the technology for gatewaying groups, at least
on UNIX sites, is relatively mature and trouble-free, and even though
Usenet transport software and BITNET LISTSERV are somewhat uneasy
bedfellows, it *does* work, and many thousands of messages pass
through such gateways daily without duplication, lossage, etc.

Am I missing something?

--
Michael C. Berch
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]