Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Mon, 28 Nov 88 19:09:38 MEZ
The 1.1 version  of LISTSEND, the CMS user interface  for LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE,
is now available from [log in to unmask] News with this release:

* DIST2  is now  the default  for LISTSERV.  Since the  old default  string is
  incompatible with the new semantics  (ie previously DIST=DIST1, DIST2 had to
  be  explicitly  requested,  now  DIST=DIST2,  DIST1  has  to  be  explicitly
  requested),  LISTSEND V1.1  will  automatically reset  the  default for  the
  DISTRIBUTE option, if present, the first  time it is invoked. A warning will
  be issued  if this is  the case. If  for some reason  you need a  default of
  DIST1,  you  can still  specify  it  manually  after the  first  invocation,
  although this is not recommended.

* To avoid  problems with users  without a fixed A  disk, and to  simplify the
  usage of LISTSEND  for unexperienced users, a new DEFAULT  LISTSEND file can
  be optionally placed  on a common disk. This file  should have the following
  format.

    1st line: 1.1
    2nd line: VIA userid AT node <more options>

  where  userid@node is  the  default server.  If this  file  is present,  the
  initial invocation  of LISTSEND is no  longer necessary, and users  will get
  the defaults from  this file. The first line indicates  the LISTSEND version
  number, and will be used if needed in future releases for migration purposes
  (as in the DIST1 vs DIST2 case).

* LISTSEND  EXEC  is  now  packaged,  along with  LISTSEND  INSTALL  (a  short
  installation note explaining the default  mechanism) and DEFAULT LISTSEND (a
  sample defaults  file, which you  should customize before using.  People who
  were AFDed to  the EXEC will get a  copy of LISTSEND EXEC only.  You can get
  the remaining files from LISTSERV@DEARN or create only a DEFAULT LISTSEND as
  described above. I'd like to recommend you  to drop your AFD to the EXEC and
  AFD to  the whole  package. This will  simplify things if  more files  (eg a
  separate helpfile) are added in the future.

* Some minor enhancements have been made to the output of LISTSEND.

Please note that the availability of LISTSEND V1.1 makes obsolete the previous
version  of LISTSEND,  which  I will  no longer  support,  fix or  distribute.
Following the new policy for volunteer  software, LISTSEND is NOT available to
EARN users,  but only  to BITNET  and NetNorth.  I've moved  the EARN  AFDs to
LISTSEND  EXEC to  a separate  file, which  I may  restore later  if the  EARN
situation betters.

  Jose Maria