Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Sep 1993 10:30:30 EST
On Fri, 24 Sep 1993 10:54:58 EDT Sathaye, Shashi said:
>I think the trend seems that people prefer [log in to unmask] addresses as their mailing
>address - e.g. [log in to unmask] is a valid address to send mail to - but when
>the listserv receives mail, it is going to get the [log in to unmask]
>address on From line. I was assuming that this is the address listserv was
>using when it got subscripption request.

Wait a sec....

Twice LISTSERV reads the From:  field to figure out who's sending the
subscription request or confirm request, and the answers are inconsistent.
From this, I conclude the user is sending in his requests differently.  (I
see this a bit locally where people switch Unix workstations between mail
messages.)

Why is this a LISTSERV problem instead of a user education problem?

(No, "Because it's easier to change one server than all those users," isn't
a valid answer in my book.)

>Is it possible to include in the canned confirmation request to tell the
>user that the user is being subscribed as [log in to unmask] and to send
>the mail for confirmation from exactly same machine?

The address it was sent to is in the To: field, right?

Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre Dame!
* User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations from other
* vendors in an intimate, informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!