Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:20:16 -0600
Ben Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:45:47 -0600, Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Hi. On one NT4 box we have LSMTP (box #1)
> >on the other we have LISTSERV+LISTSERV SMTP Service running. (box #2)
>
> I'm curious why you send these questions to LSTSRV-L rather than to

A combination of stupidity and curiosity as to what other people might
be thinking or experiencing, I guess.

BTW I figured out what the problem was, late on Friday.

One of the email operators specified the wrong subdomain on a
changelog/bounce address in an mail-merge job. The subdomain
@reply.domain was used instead of @listserv.domain. Mail for @reply is
the LSMTP box. I'm not sure exactly what transpired next; perhaps it was
something like this: bounces were coming back desitined for
[log in to unmask] and LSMTP on reply was saying "looks like
listserv bounces, let's hand it off." Hands it off to listserv and
hilarity ensued? Not sure. Found it by enabling and then watching LSMTP
loggin; it was complaining about errors trying to write to
[log in to unmask], and then it dawned on me that
@reply.domain is the wrong subdomain for the listserv box. I made the
servers happy again by temporarily routing all mail to *@reply.domain to
a pop mailbox, then I've been pulling it off to a unix box with
Fetchmail, parsing it, and redirecting it to the right place. After I
changed that routing, stuff started to clear up so quickly, that I knew
it had to be that.

> Or even after 14:40 LISTSERV still has no record of receiving the job...
> obviously the mail never got to LISTSERV so there is no way is it could
> process the job, so the mail is delayed somewhere getting to LISTSERV so,
> -Check the x:\LISTSERV\LOG\SMTP-yyymmdd.LOG for inbound connections to
> LISTSERV
> -check sending mail server or elsewhere in the path  from origination to
> LISTSERV for problems/hangups, etc.
>
> There is always a reason why mail is abnormally delayed.  The reason is
> usually found in a log file somewhere.

Thanks. The confuser was that Listserv WAS promptly processing the jobs;
the listserv log confirms this. I didn't think to check the SMTP-etc.LOG
files. I will do so on Monday, purely for curiosity's sake.

A couple days previous to this we had some intermittent problems that
caused a group of Exchange servers, admined by somebody else, to
exihibit nearly exactly the same behavior. He pulled me in and we spent
a good long time on that before mostly guessing that it had to be an
internet connection or router/firewall issue, and it did turn out to be
a corrupt firewall rule. So when Listserv and LSMTP were exhibiting
something like this a couple days later, we had a grand old time with
the admins trying to track down a problem in the firewall before they
helped me figure out that it was what it was....I think I got a few grey
hairs over this...

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson -- http://www.radparker.com -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Support Minnesota Jazz -- Disclaimer: All of my opinions are mine alone.