Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 12 Jun 1987 21:01 SET
Eric,

I just thought of a rough idea of a possible solution to the Arpa, Usenet
Problems... It would require a slight modification to LISTERV and the
software used to send USENET and ARPA mail to LISTSERV but might solve
a few problems also.

All items from USENET, Arpa, and the internet would have an extra header
line such as:    X-Peer-List: listname@arpasite

There would be two possible things for LISTSERV to do here.
1) Count the X-Peer-List: as the From: and therefore do not send mail back to
   it. This would make things difficult for determining USENET origin tho.
   (Although USENET lists would HAVE to have an address for LISTSERV to
   send to so set the X-Peer-List: to that address.
2) Have an extra keyword such as: Arpa-Peer: listname@site
   which would be the address NOT to send to if the X-Peer-List: was present.

Would this be hard to implement? I haven't thought this out too much but
it seems to be a good solution...

                                        scott