Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 20:14:02 -0400
On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, David Boyes wrote:

> >  A few students have said, I
> > want my own Listserv list.  I haven't been approached seriously yet, but
> > it will happen any day now.
> > My position is that Listserv Lists on campus are for the academic
> > community, not for individual use for presenting one's habits, providing
> > recreation, or a forum for indivdual tastes, etc., I think they can do
> > that on usenet. :-)
>
> Realistically, how are mailing lists different in terms of
> expression? I'd argue that mailing lists are in some ways more
> efficient than newsgroups -- random newsgroups for silly purposes
> waste a shared resource (news spool area space), while mailing
> lists only waste the disk quotas of people who choose to
> subscribe.

  You are abolutely correct.  In fact, I was wrong to even suggest
a comparison with regard to this issue.  I am biased about
this issue and I am also willing, based on Chris's mail, to even
admit that I may not be being very fair to students.

  There is no set 'policy' regarding the use of Listserv for mailing
lists, which is why I posted.  When I heard that some students
wanted their own personl Listserv list (just as in their own personal
www pages), I reacted negatively and thought I would check it out
here.  We do indeed have students as List-owners, but they manage
international lists related to academics or to issues of interest
that extend beyond their personal friends.  I just reacted negatively
to creating a list called "Doe-L" for "The friends of Charly Doe" to
chat.  Granted they all have access to IRC, Usenet, and Moo....

> Charge a nominal fee -- say $10 per list per semester -- for the
> privilege. $10 isn't excessive, but it will give a sense that the
> service consumes some amount of resources that aren't free. It
> also gives the appearance of giving them what they want while
> discouraging the truly frivolous lists...8-).

  Well, although I have just gotten approval to charge a minimal fee
for external lists, the students would cry in rage since we don't
charge other students/faculty/staff for non-personal lists.  Your
point is well taken though....it is a good idea.

  Thank you for taking the time to reply.

  --Trish