Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Feb 1994 13:02:01 EST
On Wed, 23 Feb 1994 15:38:15 SAT you said:
>Is it that simple ? is that only because some students ran some file they
>do not know what does it do ? is it only Saudis do that ? What about XMAS
>EXEC ? We received alot of it from BITNET, from some nodes there, why you
>did not "pull them from your routing tables" ?

Given that we  have encountered no less than *6*  different worms in the
last few  weeks (ZT  EXEC, XMAS  EXEC, MADONA  MODULE, RAMA  EXEC, FACES
EXEC,  and now  EID EXEC),  and  that for  most of  these I  encountered
multiple  copies originating  at Saudi  nodes, I  have to  conclude that
either

1) There is a large problem with Saudi users who write worms.
or
2) The Saudi node administrators need to do a *lot* more user education
regarding "Dont run things that you don't understand".

As another poster  also noted, the inability to reach  anybody in charge
of the affected nodes didn't help  matters. And given the situation that
most of the core sites are in,  I don't think that the frustration being
evidenced is all that far out of  line. Most of the core nodes are being
run    on    non-dedicated     machines,    sharing    resources    with
university-critical  production work.  I don't  think that  anybody here
would  disagree  with the  statement  "It  is  permissible to  turn  off
communications to another  site that is causing a  technical problem, if
said site is unwilling/unable to fix their end".

I  think that  faster and  more effective  communications in  the future
would go  a *long* way  in avoiding  major political firefights.  Even a
simple "We  heard about the XYZ  BLORGLE worm, and we're  cleaning up as
fast as  we can" would go  a long way -  at least then we  don't have to
worry about *more* copies of XYZ BLORGLE coming in as users keep running
it...

                                  Valdis Kletnieks
                                  Computer Systems Engineer
                                  Virginia Polytechnic Institute