Fri, 20 Jan 1995 16:57:04 EST
On Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:12:35 CST Chris Barnes said:
>. . .
>The Listserv maintainer's job:
>   Make sure the list has a FILELIST available.  This involves editing
>   the LISTSERV FILELIST and creating a 'listname FILEID' on Listserv.
>. . .
>The Listowner's job:
>a) Create a file called 'listname WELCOME'.  Let it say anything you
>   want. . .

The <listname> MAILTPL file (if created) has a section in it (at the very
top) that provides a tailored response to the user command INFO <listname> .
Additionally, the file provides the option of a customized welcome message
sent automaticallly at subscription time.  In my view, this is plenty &
enough and there is no need whatever for a <listname> WELCOME file which
in turn requires the excess baggage of a <listname> FILELIST and <listname>
FILEID.  These latter two files are completely unnecessary unless the list
also has a (non-archive) file collection.  If a user gives the command GET
<listname> FILELIST, the requisite file (which shows only archive files
since that's all there are) will be constructed on the fly and sent.
                                             /b