Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:03:22 -0500

>I do not know why your SMTP workers cannot cope with the workload under 1.8e, but I would look at the system's overall performance. Is the MTA able to take in the messages? Something is wrong if you need 19 workers to deal out 250k daily deliveries! Perhaps there are old or corrupted .mail files in the spool with invalid SMTP sequences that slow down everything. I would also look at swapping and CPU utilization. New versions generally consume a bit more memory, and in the case of wa this could be significant as there can be many copies of wa running concurrently. Note also that TUNE_MANY_LISTS=1 consumes additional memory.
>
>  Eric

Tried 1.8e again this morning.  Ran fine for a while and then started backing up.  Systems folks took a look.  Nothing real obvious.  They were surprised at the memory.  LSV was taking over 150M just before we took it down.  Each smtp worker was taking around 11M.  Given our workload, how much memory would you recommend on our machine?

When I looked at 1.8d, it was taking over 250M.  So I'm guessing this is not the problem.
--
What do fish say when they hit a concrete wall? . . . Dam!

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)